Saturday 3 November 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I never thought I could cook Chinese at home. I'm not a huge fan anyway, with the delights of Indian and Thai takeaways available, but it was one of those evenings where I had no idea what to make for the in-laws,  and they 'fancied Chinese'. So after a quick rummage, I came across a little-used book called bite-sized Chinese by Hamlyn in my cupboard, sitting abandoned next to my much-used Mexican book of the same series.

The sweet and sour chicken looked achievable so it was worth a shot, using mainly store cupboard ingredients. 

Ingredients:

1 egg white
2 tsp cornflour
pinch salt
4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp chilli sauce
2 tbsp rice wine
2 tsp thin cornflour and water paste

Method:

Lightly beat the egg white with the cornflour and salt. Coat the chicken strips in this mixture.

Shallow fry the chicken in batches for about 2 minutes on each side until light brown in colour.
Drain on kitchen paper while you do the sauce.

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and stir-fry the garlic for 1 minute. Then add in all the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and cook for about two minutes. Have a taste and add a little sugar if necessary.

Serve with the chicken and some egg-fried rice.


Sweet and Sour Chicken


Eat that, Gok Wan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the blogging world go round. Please let me know your thoughts, thank you!